President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has attempted to resolve the political crisis rocking Rivers State after meeting with Rivers Governor, Sim Fubara, FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike and other major political stakeholders from the state at the State House.
It was gathered that the meeting followed the intervention of former Governor Peter Odili with the following resolution reached.
1. ALL matters instituted in the courts by the Governor of RiversState, Sir Fubara, and his team, in respect of the political crisis in Rivers State, shall be withdrawn IMMEDIATELY.
2. ALL impeachment proceedings initiated against the Governor of Rivers State by the Rivers State House of Assembly should be dropped immediately.
3. The leadership of the Rivers State House of Assembly as led by the Rt. Hon. Martin Amaewhule shall be recognized alongside the 27 members who resigned from the PDP.
4. The remunerations and benefits of ALL members of the Rivers State House of Assembly and their staff must be reinstated immediately and the Governor of Rivers State shall henceforth not interfere with the full funding of the Rivers State House of Assembly.
5. The Rivers State House of Assembly shall choose where they want to sit and conduct their legislative business without interference and/or hindrance from the Executive arm of government.
6. The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Fubara, shall re-present the state budget to a properly constituted Rivers State House of Assembly.
7. The names of ALL commissioners in the Rivers State Executive Council who resigned their appointments because of the political crisis in the state should be resubmitted to the House of Assembly for approval.
8. There should NOT be a caretaker committee for the local governments in Rivers State. The dissolution of the Local Government administration is null and void and shall not be recognized.
The resolutions were signed by Governor Sim Fubara, FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, Deputy Governor of Rivers State Prof. Ngozi Odu, Speaker of River State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Martin Chike Amaewhule, PDP Chairman in Rivers State, Aaron Chukwuomeka, APC Chairman in Rivers State, Chief Tony Okocha and National Security Adviser, Malam Nuhu Ribadu.
Recall that President Tinubu only recently resolved the political impasse between ailing Governor Rotimi Akeredolu and his deputy, Lucky Aiyedatiwa in which the latter was reportedly ordered by the President to submit an undated resignation letter.
Aiyedatiwa subsequently asked to act on Governor Akeredolu’s behalf thereafter.